Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Pancakes 'O Love

pancakesolove4

To mark the first day of February, I thought I'd share my current favorite pancake recipe with you. And to make the post seasonal, I made the pancakes in heart-shaped molds. Note that this is absolutely unnecessary, and not something I usually do - although it's a fun Valentine's Day idea.  Also note that you can use a metal cookie cutter as a mold if you like - but do not use an enamel-coated one (mine bled coloring all over the pancake - that pancake went straight in the trash!!!), and definitely don't try to use plastic.  The directions given with this recipe assume you are using molds, but these can be made as normal pancakes too.

Play with flavor variations to keep things interesting here. I made raspberry chocolate chip, because it seems like a good valentine-y flavor. However, I have also made these with pecans instead of chocolate chips, and small chunks of banana in place of the raspberries. I imagine almond-blueberry would be a delicious combo.

pancakesolove2

Pancakes 'O Love
You can make these with molds, to be heart-shaped, or as regular pancakes. 
Yield: 2 servings, about 4 cakes each

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup white-whole wheat flour
1 tbsp baking powder
pinch salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup raspberries (I used frozen)
1/4 cup chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat a skillet and molds over medium heat. Spray the pan and molds with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Stir. Add eggs, yogurt, and milk, and stir until combined. Fold in berries and chocolate chips.
3. Pour the batter into the molds (if using) about half-way up the sides. Let cook until bubbles appear in the middle, then carefully remove the molds (I used tongs, because they will be hot), and flip the cakes. Continue cooking until done.
4. Serve topped with butter, maple syrup, and/or jam, as desired!

pancakesolove3

Like what you read? Subscribe to the feed in your favorite feed reader, or follow me on Twitter to keep up with new posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...