Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Smoked Salmon and Eggs Toast

I wasn't sure what to call this beautiful creation. It's a cross between two breakfast/brunch classics: a lox and cream cheese bagel, and eggs benedict.  So, lox benedict? Lox and eggs toast? I don't know. I decided to call it smoked salmon and eggs toast simply because I felt that was one of the most descriptive options, without getting too long winded.  In any case, it's a truly delicious combination.

Here's the basic idea: start with some form of tasty bread. I used whole wheat toast, but you could definitely use a bagel or english muffin half if you want to lean more towards one influence or another. But to make this really special, I would serve it over croissants sliced in half. That's probably too rich for an everyday meal, but perfect for a special brunch. 

Then, you spread the bread with a delicious creamy cheese, replete with onion (a nod to the lox bagel) and fresh basil. Fresh dill would probably also work, if you prefer. Then, top with a fried egg and smoked salmon. I left the egg yolk runny because that's one of my favorite parts of eggs benedict. A squeeze of lemon juice over the top is a nod to lemony hollandaise sauce.  And a perfect breakfast fusion is born!
I call for creamy goats cheese in this recipe; it has a texture and flavor like cream cheese, with the slight tang of goats cheese. I found mine at Trader Joe's.  If you can't find it at your grocery store, soft goats cheese or regular cream cheese will also work nicely. 

Smoked Salmon and Eggs Toast
 If you prefer, use bagels, english muffins, or croissants in place of the bread. 
Yield: 2 servings

INGREDIENTS
4 slices of bread, lightly toasted
4 eggs
2 oz smoked salmon
1/2 cup creamy goats cheese or cream cheese
1/4 cup chopped basil, plus extra to garnish
4 tsp finely minced onion
Salt and pepper
1 lemon, quartered

DIRECTIONS
1. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray, break eggs over skillet, and cover with lid (I do 2 eggs at a time). Fry eggs to desired doneness (I like mine sunny side up). If necessary, repeat until all eggs are cooked (this depends on the size of your skillet). Alternatively, you can poach the eggs.
2. While eggs cook, combine goat cheese, basil, and onion in a small bowl.  Stir to combine, and add salt and pepper to taste. Spread each slice of toast with 1/4 of the mixture.
3. Place one egg on each slice of toast. Top with 1/2 oz smoked salmon. Garnish with additional basil and cracked black pepper. Serve with lemon wedges.

Like what you read? Subscribe to the feed in your favorite feed reader, or follow me on Twitter to keep up with new posts! And don't forget to like me on Facebook!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...