Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Oven-Dried Apples

Dried apples 5


We had some summer-like weather yesterday, and I wasn't in the mood to spend much time in the kitchen. This technique requires you to be home for a while, but is very hands-off. Also, the technique should be applicable to a number of fruits and vegetables; feel free to experiment!

Dried apples 1

Dehydrating fruits and veggies doesn't require a fancy dehydrator. If you set your oven to the lowest temperature, you can dry produce. The time this takes will vary based on your oven and the produce you choose, but have some patience, and check on it regularly.

I decided to start by drying a few apples. I sliced them on the mandolin, and I found that the 3/16ths inch slice dehydrated better than the 1/4 inch slice. I'll try 1/8th inch slices next time, and see how those do - I imagine they'll dry faster.

Dried apples 3


Then, I laid the slices out on a baking sheet lined with a silpat liner (parchment paper would also work).  I baked them for an hour at 200 degrees, flipped, and let them go about 30 minutes more. That's it! I left them a bit soft, but you can keep going until they are crispy if you prefer.

Dried apples 4

Properly dehydrating foods is a method of preservation. I can't make any guarantees about success with this technique as a preservation method, but the end result is delicious.

Like what you read? Subscribe to the feed in your favorite feed reader, or follow me on Twitter to keep up with new posts! 

744B3EAGD8PB 

2 comments:

  1. I've always wanted a dehyrdrator but they're so expensive! this is a brilliant post! I must try it out! Have a happy Tuesday :)

    Liam @ buttercarb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Have fun experimenting!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...