Wednesday, January 18, 2012

My Hummus Recipe

Hummus used to be something that I only bought at the store. Once I found out how to make my own, however, I never went back to store bought! It is extremely easy to make your own hummus, and there are endless flavor variations to dream up.

This is my favorite basic hummus recipe - it seems that every person who makes hummus has their own. Mine only uses tahini for the fat/oil component; many others I have tried use some olive oil as well. I think using only tahini results in a better flavor.

A few notes about tahini: First, what is it? Tahini is a paste made from ground up roasted sesame seeds - kind of like peanut butter is ground up peanuts (except made with sesame seeds, naturally). It has a distinct, nutty flavor that makes a great addition to all kinds of dressings and spreads. Second, where can you find it? It is available at most supermarkets; look in either the natural foods or international aisles.  I have found that a 1-lb jar runs around $7-8, which will be enough to make several batches of hummus.

It's easy to change up the flavor by adding various spices for flavor or heat, fresh herbs, or a handful of fresh vegetables. If you want to get really crazy, you can try using green peas instead of chickpeas! One of my favorite variations is honey curry hummus (I add 2 tablespoons of curry powder, a pinch each of cumin and cayenne, and 2 tablespoons of honey to my recipe, and omit the paprika). Get creative with it!

hummus

This recipe makes a big batch, so you might want to try making only a half batch if you don't eat hummus very often. Alternatively, you can freeze some of the hummus for later.

I call for 2 small lemons here. To me, "small" means a lemon about the size of two golf balls, that fits easily in my palm. If you have larger lemons, more baseball sized, you might only want one lemon. 

Grace's Hummus
This hummus is flavorful and well balanced, with a hint of garlic and a lemony tang. 
Yield: about 4 cups

INGREDIENTS
3 cups cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans), from 1 cup dry, OR 2 14.5 oz cans, drained and rinsed well
1/2 to 1 cup water
1/2 cup tahini
Zest and juice of 2 small lemons
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp salt (start with less if you use canned beans)
1/2 tsp smoked paprika

DIRECTIONS
1. Combine all ingredients (start with 1/2 cup of water) in a food processor or blender. Process until well blended and slightly fluffy. Add a bit more water if needed.
2. Store, refrigerated, in an airtight container.

We eat this on carrot sticks and crackers, of course, but it is also great for making hummus melts: top a slice of bread with some hummus and sliced cheese, then place under a preheated broiler until the cheese browns and bubbles. Make it healthier by putting a layer of spinach or other greens under the cheese. Irresistible.

Hummus melt

Like what you read? Subscribe to the feed in your favorite feed reader, or follow me on Twitter to keep up with new posts! Find my recipes on Recipage.

2 comments:

  1. Will be trying those hummus melts :P I wonder if I can make them in a sandwich maker

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet a sandwich maker would work great! I hope you enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...